Saturday 6 September 2014

Finally - The Finished Walled Garden Blanket!!!



Sooooo…. This post has been a while in the coming! (In fact, I wrote it yesterday, but the wifi stopped working while I was adding the links, so here it is even later!)

Way back (in July, was it?), during my last trip to Pembrokeshire, I completed the border for my mum’s Walled Garden Blanket, and it was finished! Yay!!



Then the weather turned bad, so outdoor photos were impossible, and my mum didn’t have anywhere indoors that was suitable for photos either… so I had to leave Pembrokeshire and my blanket creation without any photos of it. Boo!

So the Walled Garden Blanket has been waiting patiently all this time to have its photoshoot. I have been less patient though, and having arrived in Pembrokeshire 6 days ago now, and not having had an opportunity for a nicely staged outdoor shoot, I just went ahead and photographed it indoors!

Da da danaaaaaa!!! Preeeeeeeesenting, the Walled Garden Blanket! C’est fin!!



Obviously the blanket doesn’t fit this bed as it is single-sized, while the bed is a king I think, but what do you think? I’m pretty chuffed!

The edging is inspired by this gorgeous blanket over at Coco Rose Diaries, which I have long admired. 



It is mostly from the Doris Chan 'All Shawl' pattern, which is available here, while the corners were just kind of made up as I went along (and then had to remember what I’d done for each subsequent corner. I must write things down!!!) I’m quite pleased with how they turned out though :)



I tried a few staged shots to just indulge myself a little, but I didn’t manage too well - in the end I had to make do with plonking it on the bed, and trying to drape it over the wardrobe door and snapping a shot before it fell off! Haha



So, the big shot of the whole blanket. The shot is not quite straight as I had to balance carefully while holding the camera up high so that I could fit it all in. I took a few shots like this, and here is the one that came out the straightest! (I’m soooo professional)


So there is my finished Walled Garden Blanket. All in Stylecraft Life DK (yarn details here). I think I used 6 balls of Fern (green), 2 or 3 of the Clover (lighter pink), about 4 or 5 balls of the Fuchsia (darker pink) as it was also used for the edging, then about 2 or 3 of Cascade (blue) and I think 4 of the Cream (cream!). Doing a simpler edge would obviously save you yarn if you wanted to have a go without using up so much :)

I folded up the blanket to put it away, and just had to take another picture. Look at that lovely pile of lacy edging!! She’s a clever lady, that Doris Chan :)





6 comments:

  1. Debbiiiiiiieeeeeee, absolutely gorgeous, that is fantastic. I bet your Mum loves it to bits. Well done you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yooouuuu!! I am chuffed to bits with it. I had a bit of a wobble about the colour I had picked for the border while I was hooking it, but seeing it laid out I am happy with it. Really happy with it! :)

      I wouldn't rush to do another as it felt a bit of a marathon effort to get it finished, but in fairness I think that's because I was in a rush to get it done for a deadline. It didn't reeeaaally take too long :)

      Dxx

      Delete
  2. Awww it's just lovely. I really like the edging and the colour sets the rest of the blanket off a treat. I can see why you're so pleased with it. Well done you xx

    S xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And good to 'see' you again ;)

      I am pleased with how it came out - it could do with blocking for the border, but I don't have anywhere to do that... however the actual squares have gone lovely and straight just from being kept flat, and stroked every now and then... Then the joining was a breeze and made them even neater :)

      Very happy with this one!!!

      Dxx

      Delete
  3. Wow what a GORGEOUS blanket! I can imagine how pleased you are with it! The colour choices are beautiful. I adore pink and green together, and the pop of blue just sets these two colours off wonderfully. Well done, on creating such a masterpiece. I'm sure it is going to be well loved for many years!

    Have a super rest of a week

    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - what a really lovely comment! Quite a few people have told me they like the colours, I'm really happy with how they look together, I think I might make a similar pinks and greens blanket for me at some point... Once I'm over the trauma of trying to get this one finished for a deadline, anyway!! haha ;)

      Thank you, and have a great rest-of-week yourself! (And a lovely weekend of course :)

      Dx

      Delete